Our historical centrehosts a State Boarding School called “Educandato Statale San Benedetto” from the name of the adjoining Benedictine church, now used for exhibitions and concerts. Up to 1807, for three centuries, Benedictine nuns resided there to bring up and educate the young female boarders of the nearby convent, located inside the walls for security reasons, in line with the characteristics of other Benedictine boarding schools for girls. San Benedetto boarding school, as a public institution for female education, is included in the list of Educandati Reali (Royal Boarding Schools), a title that a Royal Decree of 1929 attributed only to very few institutions. Even today the only Italian Educandati are located in Montagnana, Milan, Udine, Verona, Florence and Palermo.

Condividi