St Benedict’s Church, today no longer used for worship but to hold exhibitions and concerts, was built in late Baroque style in 1771 in place of a previous church dating back to the 1500s. For three centuries, until 1807, Benedictine nuns used to bring up and educate girls in the adjoining convent, now a State Boarding School (EducandatoStatale), located inside the walls for security reasons, in line with other Benedictine boarding schools for girls. San Benedetto boarding school, as a public institution for female education, is included in the list of EducandatiReali (Royal Boarding Schools), a title that a Royal Decree of 1929 attributed only to very few institutions. Even today the only Italian Educandati are located in Montagnana, Milan, Udine, Verona, Florence and Palermo.

Condividi